Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Firsts

I have many younger-than-me friends starting to let their babies go off to preschool and mom's day out programs. Some of my friends have more than one child but the majority of my friends don't. And I have one friend with a child older than my four kiddos. I have three school aged kids, and have had for five years now. Our most recent first was that my second child started middle school at the beginning of the week. And not that I wasn't nervous but knowing that her brother was with her at the same school made it much easier than when he started middle school last year. Talk to me again in two years when my oldest will start high school and I will probably be a hot mess. Not because he is growing up but because I am aging less than gracefully and I don't want two years time to pass. Or talk to me next year when my BABY starts kindergarten. That's probably going to be a hard day but she's been asking for school ever since she turned four.

They offer pre-kindergarten classes here but you have to qualify or you have to pay. Well qualification guidelines include 1-English is your second language, 2-you're a military family, or 3-income. We make $38 too much each month. So we don't qualify. If I want to enroll T into a preschool program it will cost me 3-5K for the year. I could have done one of the mom's-day-out programs but even that runs about 120/month.

Did I mention that we still own that house in IN? Did I mention that for months we have had to put our groceries on a credit card because we can't go without food? And the money coming in barely covers the money going out.

No comments: