Monday, August 30, 2010

No privileges here

Well, it is week two back to school and as much as I am enjoying having the big kids back in school I am thoroughly frustrated at the youngest child's lack of sleep as of late. Our rule is if she's up more than once to potty then she losses her privileges for the next day. I know, this might seem harsh, but we had to take drastic measures when the child was getting up six to eight times a night. It all started toward the end of last year. At first I thought it was night terrors but soon came to realize that it's mostly just a behavioral issue. After the years my husband and I spent working in group homes with physically and mentally handicapped people who have their own Behavior Management Plans we decided to do the same thing over and over again with her to encourage her to 'behave' the right way. MissT has a BMP!

She was up once to potty last night, within 20 minutes of being put to bed. The second time she started yelling I went up and reminded her that she would be losing all of her privileges for today and that we would not be leaving the house other than to take the kids to and from school. She hasn't been able to play any of her special toys-leapster, leap pad, playdough, coloring crayons or books, no tv, no kiddie computer, no real computer, NO NETFLIX. We watched the news this morning for a bit and have had the music on the computer the rest of the day.

I had plans to go to Sam's club today. I needed to get my oil changed and vehicle inspection done. I was going to go walking through the neighborhood this morning. Instead, I took the kids to school by myself. Don't worry, Corey was home since he doesn't work Sunday night. I had to take a forgotten lunch to school and then ran through the grocery to get bread-the one thing I absolutely had to have.

I just got a call from Walmart the Josaphina's glasses are in. So, once we get the oldest two from school we'll head out and pick her glasses up, hoping that the boy's are in also.

I'm hoping we have a better night tonight because I have my Bible study here tomorrow and although there might not be a lot of kids in attendance I don't want to have to stop everything I'm trying to learn to discipline a child.

Oh, and Corey's got tonight off so he can deal with her again tonight if she's up. I know she's got to get tired of standing on the wall. *when my older kids were younger we moved into a 900 square foot apartment, after living in 1500 square foot house. Needless to say the majority of corners were filled with stuff so we started facing the wall with our hands at our sides as a punishment for whatever amount of time needed. That's carried over for four kiddos and now she's old enough to do it. She's also the most stubborn child I've had so far and can stand for 30 minutes at a time because your time doesn't start until you stop moving, playing around, whining, crying, whatever the case may be.

No comments: